Maraming Salamat... Presidente Corazon Aquino


Maria Corazon Sumulong Cojuangco-Aquino (January 25, 1933 – August 1, 2009) was the 11th President of the Philippines and the first woman to hold that office. Aquino was also the first popularly and democratically-elected female president and head of state in Asia. She is best remembered for leading the 1986 People Power Revolution, which toppled the authoritarian regime of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos and restored democracy in the Philippines. "Tita (Auntie) Cory", as she was affectionately known, is revered by many Filipinos as an icon of democracy and was hailed by TIME Magazine in 1986 as its 'Woman of the Year.'
Wikipedia  

Reminiscin' President Corazon Aquino's Burial - October 5, 2009

After shift I decided to go to Quirino LRT Station to witness the delivery to the final resting place of the late President Corazon Aquino.



As early as 8:30 I started waiting there. I do not know if the mass already begun at the Manila Cathedral. It was raining that time. So I find a better place to hide. But the guard from the LRT refused us from staying there. I grew tired of waiting and when the rain subsided slightly I walked towards Roxas Boulevard. And I reached Raja Suliman. The mass just started. Good thing that there’s a wide screen of live feed of the Cory’s wake. Only few people were there. Most of them are students from different schools and universities.




Suddenly we experience a strong wind with heavy rain. I stayed in my establishment holding my umbrella and protecting my bag to get wet. Gusty rain seemed tireless.




It was already 11 AM when th mass was ended. Barely, the parade moved slowly to the final resting place of Tita Cory. Many people also waiting on the stretch of Roxas Boulevard. I think there is still much people will continue the fight she already started. And it seems that the “Laban” sign was change its meaning to “LOVE for Cory”. All walks of life were there, children, adults, male, female, disabled, common people, simple people, celebrities, Filipinos or even foreigners participated in this parade. I say to myself ... It’s not important to get a good picture... Just to document this history and share to others is already a fulfillment to me.




When Tita Cory passed by… I decided to join the parade up to Quirino LRT Station and take few more photos of her final rest. It was already 8PM when the parade reached Manila Memorial Cemetery.



I just witnessed a history… I hope that this won’t remain just a history. I’m hoping that the Filipino people will continue the fight started by Ninoy and Cory Aquino. “Maraming salamat... Presidente Corazon Aquino. Ipagpapatuloy namin ang LABAN".


Lakbay LENTE

No comments:

Post a Comment